Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Learning New Things

WARNING: THIS UPDATE WAS WRITTEN 2 1/2 WEEKS AGO. Yes I know, I'm not good at this. Here it is...

So as promised, I am going to update you all on how my domestic skills are coming along now that I live all on my own. Last week, I did laundry for the first time since being here (that's 3 weeks of clothes, but whos counting). I was avoiding it at all costs but it got to a point where I had no choice unless I planned on wearing a t-shirt and gym shorts everywhere I went (which is weird because back home thats the ONLY thing I do wear, here- no way).
 
This would be the very first time I have done laundry 100% on my own. No one to ask what shirt goes in which water temperature, no just folding it once its dry - this was all me. So here's how it all went down. I gathered all my clothing, towels, etc and dumped it into one big pile. Then I sorted it by colors, because I know thats how my mom does it at home. Then I loaded three huge bags and to the laundry room I went.
 
I will admit I tried to call my mom to get some guidance on the way down the elevator but got no answer. My logic was this, if I ruin all my stuff - at least I have a good reason to go shopping. Kidding, well sort of.
 
After about 3 hours and 4 loads later, laundry was complete and I didn't mess a single thing up! Whoo!!! So proud of my new skills. Next up, trying to cook without an oven and stove- top and only plastic silverware and plates. Report coming soon because I really want to see how good of a meal I can make with very little supplies (well, and I'm just really sick of Lean Cuisines so I'd eat anything at this point).


NEW:

I completed round two of laundry tonight. 4 loads, nothing got messed up. I'd say I'm pretty much an expert laundrist (I'm allowed to make up my own words) now. 

As for the cooking, things have improved drastically for me because I found a Trader Joe's. Tonight I made broccoli and shrimp penne pasta, all on my own. (aka it wasn't a frozen dinner) It was delicious and my skills will definitely be ready for my big apartment in the fall. Lucky for my roommates, I will be an experienced chef by that time AND I will have real tools to use (ex. an oven). 

Next update will include my 4th of July activities followed by my weekend trip to Boston. Get excited, I have very fun stories. 


Behold: My Laundry

No comments:

Post a Comment