Monday, June 28, 2010

Blessed


So its official, I've lived in New York for a month (well plus 2 days, now). It blows my mind because it only feels like I’ve been here a week. But, when I think back to all the things I’ve done and seen it seems like it should have taken longer than even a month. I was talking to my boss about the things I’ve done on the weekends and she told me she has lived in New York her entire life and still not done some of the things I’ve done. I guess it’s a bit like how St. Louis is for me- being around it all the time you take for granted what you have. I’ve lived in STL my entire life and it wasn’t until last year I took a tour of the Anheuser Busch brewery for the first time, which is pretty famous. So I get it, I guess.

For me, I’m not sure New York could ever lose its sparkle. I do not want to take for granted one minute that I have here. I want to see every inch of Manhattan. Being as small as it is, geographically speaking, it wouldn’t seem hard but it is amazing how much can be packed into such a small space.

Every little thing about this city makes me happy. Its the little things that make my day great, like the subway arriving just as I reach the platform or the elevator already there waiting for me in the morning. I received a package from my mom yesterday and I squealed like a little 5- year old in excitement. (I have always loved getting mail, so this is actually not new for me, but exciting nonetheless). The stupid little things that would bother me in Missouri, like a super gross toilet that doesn’t flush well, barely get a passing thought here. Actually, they are more of just a running joke with my roommates and I.

I talked about it in a previous post but this city really does make me feel blissful, unlike anything else. And being so independent has been very eye- opening for me. I don’t need anyone here. I have no obligations to anyone and it is so refreshing. I even use my phone way less! (this is quite an accomplishment, trust me). I am notorious for always having a guy, but not here, and I’m happier than ever. Just a lesson learned that I definitely don’t need someone else to make me happy, I can do it all on my own. In fact, the only way to be truly happy is to be content all on your own first J

Another thing I’ve been thinking about lately is - when is all this dumb luck I’ve been stumbling upon going to end? I have to fall off cloud 9 at some point, right?
Well at the rate I’m going, probably not. Not while I’m in New York at least. I’ve been so blessed with getting to do some amazing things. See Alicia Keys VIP first row, free rooftop party, free VIP at clubs, VIP at Mets game. I am not a Very Important Person, I am just a non-paid intern from Missouri. So, why me? I really couldn’t tell you but I’m not complaining. I’m having the absolute time of my life and couldn’t ask for more.

Living the good life.
Xoxo-
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment