Monday, June 7, 2010

City That Never Sleeps

First, let me apologize for my long absence from updating. People can say it a million times, but this city really does never sleep. My schedule is pretty demanding with working 9+ hours a day, 5 days a week. More and more is being expected of me and I am getting bigger responsibilities which is very exciting (sorry thats all the details I can share. I thought that would be hard, but I'm learning that having my own little secret world that I tell no one about is quite refreshing). I absolutely love my position and though I never pictured myself working with the fashion world, it has begun to spark my interest as I continue to learn more. (Don't worry though, sports is still my passion and first love).

Any second I have off work, I am constantly out exploring the wonderful world that is NYC. And when I call it world, its on purpose. The more I learn about New York the more I realize why its inhabitants never leave or want to, anyways. Anything I could ever want is situated on a 5 x 13 mile plot of land:

Ability to see the skyline in one of the tallest buildings in the world? Check
Several beaches to escape to and soak up sun? Check
Incredible parks with mesmerizing scenery? Check
The greatest shopping in the world from luxury designers to little boutiques? Check
Authentic, delicious food from every region you could imagine? Check
Celebrity sightings a normal occurence? Check
Nightlife that could keep even Paris Hilton entertained? Check
Access to the best performing arts shows, just a few blocks away? Check
Sports that could put several other cities combined to shame? Check
Within an hour of tons of other fun cities to explore (philly. jersey shore, boston, D.C.)? Check
A block or two from almost everything else you could think of? Probably, check

But all those fabulous things aside, the absolute best part of the city for me is the feeling it gives me. I feel home. This is the one time in my life where I feel like I am exactly where I am supposed to be. Missouri is fun but I need a place that moves at the same speed that I do. Cornfields, cowboys, and Fieldhouse Wednesdays just don't quite compare to flashing lights, beautiful people, and endless big name events.

Sure, not every part of living here is glamorous but the pros easily outweigh the cons. I tweeted today that the Jay-Z and Alicia Keys song 'Empire State of Mind' plays constantly in my mind. I walk the streets and constantly hear the lyrics in my head, in awe that I am really here. There is one line that perfectly sums up my thoughts about this city:


"These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you. Lets hear it for New York." 

Well said, you two. Being here this summer is the biggest inspiration to keep working hard to achieve my dreams. Dreams of living in the city upon graduation with a fabulous job and making it big. Until then, I will be soaking up as much as I can of NY this summer to hold me over for the next year.

- Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment