Saturday, May 29, 2010

Big Apple, Big Fun

Today is day 4 of my life in NYC. I cannot believe it's only been that long. I feel like I am already a native New Yorker and have done so much in so little time. But my body reminded me of how busy I've been the past few days, I didn't wake up until 11:30 this morning! Last night was our first time actually 'going out' in the city. We all gathered in my apartment first before heading out on the town. We all went down to the southside seaport and had some drinks outside on the pier. We were surprised to learn that happy hour in manhattan at the place we went lasted until 1 am (bars are open until 5 am here) and got $5 margaritas and strawberry dacquiris (thats really cheap here).  Zaire, Kim, and Keith made a trip to Manhattan from Staten Island to come hang with us and it was so fun to have a big Mizzou crew to do the M-I-Z   Z-O-U chant with as we walked the streets of the city. After they left we were on a mission to find some of the military men in town because it is Fleet Week, meaning all the ships are docked here until next Wednesday. We found a little hole in the wall bar where we found sailors dancing on the bar. It was quite the experience and all of us found ourselves up on the bar with them for a good story to tell. All in all it was great first night. 

Today a bunch of us went out exploring again and ventured into Greenwich Village, then Morgan and I went to Central Park, Grand Central Station, Bloomingdale's, Lexington St through all the street vendors and then back to the apartment. The subway system is really easy to use, once you know which subway stations have which tracks, its a piece of cake. Hopefully tonight we will get to see Staten Island from the view of Zaire, the native Staten Islander.

Tomorrow I am hoping to make a trip to Philly to see some of my fav. Mizzou guys that are in town. If that doesn't happen then we are going to try to work on the apartment because its pretty empty still. We made a trip to Brooklyn yesterday to visit the nearest Target (the prices are the same as in St. Chuck, thank goodness!) and we picked up all the essentials we needed: plates, silverware, cups, soap, dish towel, bread, meat, and a few other snacks. There are so many random things you need that I would never think of. We have a makeshift table that we all stand around that is actually a dresser. We all joke that when we have a dinner party we will push two together and stick a table cloth over it. I have been living off peanut butter sandwiches so there is no need for anything fancy.

Tonight I made myself some chicken nuggets and easy mac for dinner (yes I know I eat like a 5 year old) . I treated myself though with my other cupcake that I bought from the famous Magnolias Bakery yesterday. I ate the Carrie cupcake yesterday (named after Carrie Bradshaw who was a frequent visitor of Magnolia Bakery on SATC) and enjoyed a chocolate with pink icing cupcake tonight. I am now laying in bed stalling getting ready for tonight. I should get up and shower so I will leave you with some pictures to enjoy. They should better explain what I've been talking about.

This is my building where I live. Its pretty and located just across the street from some important federal building. 



down at the seaport with Jess, and Morgan. Behind us is the Brooklyn Bridge



Inside Magnolia's Bakery showing off my cupcakes. The purple one is the 'Carrie'



There is a constant line out the door


In the apartment with my Mizzou boys before heading out: Zaire, L.B., Zaire, and Kimmie.  I am a midget compared to them but in my defense, yes they do play basketball for Mizzou


The whole crew 


And the naval men on the bar


Thats all for now. Thanks for reading.
-Allie 

No comments:

Post a Comment